Classes of hosting services
A hosting service pertains to saving and/or sharing certain content on a web server managed by a hosting distributor. There are different kinds of hosting services used for various aims, so let's have a glance at them. In this way, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to create a weblog, email address accounts, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a solution offered by particular web hosts, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage accounts frequently include adverts beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a given amount of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly unsuitable explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would allocate the load between independent hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web page hosting services (mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; some suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting type is appropriate if you desire to share a huge quantity of images with mates or acquaintances since the solution is typically free. You will obtain a random link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to tackling your mail addresses. Some firms offer hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an email service. If you wish to create an email address with your domain name but do not wish to have a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can create email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will allow you to own as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you want to keep a website. To a certain degree, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and e-mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At Tango November Group Africa Ltd, for instance, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated web hosting plans that enable you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in a single location. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse compared with the regular e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are conceived for specific web content exclusively.